1. Lately, there seem to be 2 consistent and related questions:
A) Do we need school libraries and school librarians?
B) What does a good school library and school librarian do?
So do we need a rubric – a checklist so Principals and schools can grade/test their school library? (testing being very popular in school spheres at present)
In January Joyce Valenza said,
“In case you were sleeping, over the past two years, stuff happened. Big stuff. Stuff we should have led. I’ve been watching as other professionals in education grabbed turf we should have grabbed or tried together…
The game has changed dramatically. The changes we talk about are not bandwagons. They represent profound changes in the way we do business, the way we do libraries, the way we must educate.
Teacher librarians, as information and communication specialists must lead change in their buildings and districts or face irrelevancy.”
Here are some of my other favorite posts about what school libraries in the 21st century should be about:
reports http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/august2009 Media 21 project
2. Is any publicity good publicity? Find every librarian stereotype at Channel 7 – 7pm project as they discuss teacher librarians becoming extinct http://7pmproject.com.au/video.htm?channel=7PM+Catch+Up&clipid=2689_7pm-seg1-090410&bitrate=300&format=flash
3. Very funny shadow presentation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blOrY-nEGaE&feature=player_embedded How to make the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixSCjigDeM8&annotation_id=annotation_315044&feature=iv
4. Clean up your Facebook profile http://mashable.com/2010/04/08/clean-up-facebook/
5. Podcast book trailers http://podcast2.mid-del.net/users/sloch/
6. 50 best book people to follow on twitter http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/09/50-best-book-people-to-fo_n_529295.html?ref=twitter
7. TL tools – AUSTRALIAN EDUCATION DIGEST School Libraries Special http://www.acsso.org.au/AED100408.htm
Reading Ebsco Teacher- librarian tools including scavenger hunt http://www.ebscohost.com/customerSuccess/default.php?id=714
Teacher librarian resources http://www.accessola.com/osla/toolkit/Resources.html
8.Online reading – is it different to reading printed text?
Print article in Time Magazine, Nov. 23, 2009, by Barbara Kiviat – “The Paperless Chase.” It mentioned eye pattern research about reading on line and quoted Jakob Nielsen’s work on people’s interactions with technology. On Time’s website there is similar less detailed article. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1938743,00.html
Is Google Making Us Stupid? Atlantic Monthly 2008
R U really Reading?” http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/27reading.html
9. The Future of Reading http://wanderings.edublogs.org/internet-literacy/
10. Miscellaneous- Presenting better at seminars http://alalearning.org/2010/02/02/10steps/
Space Ed – Learning that sticks http://www.spaceded.com/info/howitworks
Filed under: Uncategorized