1. Youth Writing Contest: Entries open http://bit.ly/youthwriting Students write an essay, short story, poem, open letter or other text to a national leader, on how to use agriculture to produce more food, generate food of better quality, and improve people’s nutrition and health – open to those between 14 and 18. Entries close 13 December 2010.
2. Simpson Prize 2011: Entries open http://bit.ly/simpsonprize Students are asked to write an essay, or prepare an audio-visual presentation addressing the question ‘Has the ANZAC legend changed over 95 years?’ Each State/Territory winner has an educational trip to Canberra and a trip to Gallipoli for the Anzac Day Service in 2011. Entries close 3 December 2010.
3. One Voice – Kids address the Nation: Entries open http://bit.ly/addressthenation competition requires entrants to create their own address to the nation telling how they will help make this generation the last with disparity between Aboriginal Australians and non Aboriginal Australians.
4. Westpac Junior Landcare grants: Applications open http://bit.ly/landcaregrants Schools can now apply for the Westpac Junior Landcare Student Sustainability Grant. Grants are available to help students build sustainability leadership abilities to improve their school or local community environment. Applications close 10 December 2010.
5. Girls with a Purpose Program http://bit.ly/girlspurpose program aims to develop a sense of self, values and resiliency in girls by providing the opportunity to discuss life issues.
6. Cybersafety for parents http://www.connectsafely.org/Safety-Advice-Articles/facebook-for-parents.html
7. Evernote http://slav.globalteacher.org.au/2010/11/10/evernote/
8. Library planning , goals http://librarygrits.blogspot.com/2010/02/toothpaste-and-bananas.html and http://librarygrits.blogspot.com/2010/03/tracking-my-activities.html Daily library log http://iasl-online.org/pubs/slw/july06-everhart.htm
9. The Multiple Dimensions of Principal Involvement available at http://iasl-online.org/pubs/slw/slwjan02.html and http://iasl-online.org/pubs/slw/
10. http://www.1000poppies.com/ plant a poppy online to commemorate those who have been affected by war.
11. Digital writing workshop http://digitalis.nwp.org/
12. Humour- Police Raid in Hillbrow – Gauteng Police just announced the discovery of an arms cache of 200 semi automatic rifles with 250,000 rounds of ammunition, 10 anti-tank missiles, 4 grenade launchers, 2 tonnes of heroin, R80 million in forged South African banknotes and 25 trafficked Nigerian prostitutes all in a block of flats behind the Hillbrow Public Library.
Local residents were stunned.
A community spokesman said: “We’re shocked. We never knew we had a Library!!” http://raasensthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/10/police-raid-in-hillbrow.html